Roast Your Own Beans

green(ish) beans, please become brown?

Today, while shpping at the Wheatsfield grocery store, I realized that unroasted coffee is a good $3/lb. cheaper than the pre-roasted business.  Being the frugal college student that I am, of course I decided I could roast my own!  How hard can it be to heat up some beans?

I was feeling rather good until I opened the bag of beans at home.  In natural lighting they take on a somewhat grey-ish-green-ish hue.  Well.... I'll just roast 'em till they're black!


Which took a good three hours.  Stove-patience is not one of my strong suits.

I only suffered one minor burn.
Mum, you would be proud of my patience and lack of "high" settings on the burners. 
Coffee beans also shed these weird chaff-like skins, which are now all over my kitchen. 

After the burn, some exasperated roommates, and a floor full of rebellious beans, 
I HAVE CREATED COFFEEEEEE!  
Well, coffee beans in somehting of a recognizable form. 

I ground 'em and boiled 'em, and drank 'em
and they weren't too shabby, if I do say so myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment