The Humble Hominy // Hominy and Bacon Recipe


I picked up a dented (I know, I know: botulism and all that fun stuff) can of hominy at the grocery store for $.10 the other day and brought it home.  Tim helped me put away groceries.  When he came to the bottom of the sack, he pulled out the can of 10 cent hominy.  He stared at the can with a blank look furrowed eyebrows - could it be?  He didn't know what Hominy was?!  I was speechless, aghast, confused, perplexed and awed.  Who doesn't know what hominy is!?  I hurried in to a rushed explanation of it being something like field corn soaked in lye.   Then I realized what I was saying to a farm kid.  Doesn't really make one want to eat it... I get it.  Food soaked in lye - well, that's just alarming.  And not just any food - field corn soaked in lye.  ew.

So, of course I had to make him a dish that would let the delightful hominy flavor seep through, yet still be appealing.  What do men like more than, well, a lot of things?  Bacon!


The old standby:  Bacon and Onions sauteed with hominy.




Saute 1/4 cup diced onion with 1/2 cup diced bacon. 
Cook until bacon is done and onions are clear. 
Add a dash of pepper.
Add a drained can of hominy.
Cook until warm. 


Eat it up!

I remember those rare nights when my mom would leave us kids alone with dad to cook us dinner.  It usually consisted of some sort of leftovers in a pan with cheese and an egg, or if we were lucky - omelettes.  Or, if we were really lucky, hominy and bacon. (this may or may not be how my siblings viewed it - I adored anything corn, even the old lye & field corn type of corn)

As I was cooking my hominy Tim started singing "hominy, hominy, boys are crazy? hominy hominy boys are raw?" all MIA "Boyz" style and it's been in my head for days. days. 



No comments:

Post a Comment